Monday, October 17, 2011

Waterproof overalls

I shopped at Cabela's looking for waterproof pants or overalls that I could wear hiking when it is wet out.  I would like to be able to walk through brush and rub up against grass and bushes without being soaked at the end of the day.  It would also be nice to be able to sit on a wet stump or rock once in a while.  I was very disappointed in the selection.  I am short, and I am also pregnant right now, so pretty much anything I buy off the shelf I am going to have to alter anyway.  The women's selection was minimal and expensive - $150-$200 for something that wouldn't fit anyway.  The men's section was on sale but everything was still expensive or it was too thick (or both).  The best pair I found was $90, heavy and thick, way too long, and really ugly!

So my plan is to make a pair that fits right and is comfortable and cute.

Key design features:

  1. Lots of pockets
  2. Large in the waist
  3. Adjustable straps
  4. Elastic draw string around the ankles (want to be able to tighten them up around my shoes so they never drag in the mud)
  5. Waterproof
  6. Lightweight
  7. Lined with flannel
The waterproof fabric I have in mind is waterproof fleece which is $29/yd.  It seems really expensive, but since I am so short, I will only need 2 yards to complete the entire project.  While I am at the outdoor fabric store, I plan to check out other waterproof fabrics - if I find something that is quiet and waterproof but lighter weight, I may buy that instead and line the pants in fleece.  


No comments:

Post a Comment