Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Website Review: Once a Month Mom

Once a Month Mom is all about cooking just one day a month.  There are 6 different monthly menus, complete with recipe cards and instructions.  I was impressed with the traditional menu because it looked like food we would actually eat, and was easy to make.  Other recipe or menu sites I've seen in the past didn't quite fit the bill, the food might look good, but it wouldn't be in a style I was used to preparing.  I knew Once a Month Mom was a good match because the grocery list contained 95% things I already buy regularly.

Even though once a month cooking is a great time saver for a busy mom like me, I still can't find an entire day this month or next month where I can do 7 hours of cooking*.  I wanted to try it anyway because I can imagine how great it would be to have dinner ready - especially on days I go to water aerobics and my husband and daughter are on their own.  (I think they mostly eat hot dogs and mac and cheese, but I'm afraid to ask).  *blocks of time are prime real estate in my life, and weekends are particularly prime

Here's what I decided to do:  I picked out 5 of the menu items that looked easiest and my family is most likely to eat.  My plan is to prepare them in a few hours this weekend.

Chicken Parmesan Meatloaf (Actually I am cheating further and making my mother-in-law's meatloaf instead because I already know it is a hit with my husband - this recipe looks good though)

Salsa Chicken

Ground Beef Stroganoff

Chicken and Stuffing Bake

Chicken Enchilada Lasagna

Each recipe is a double recipe - so if all goes well I will have 10 dinners in the freezer.  That may not cover a whole month of eating, but it will definitely reduce my daily load a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment